Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Warmest wishes for the festive season

Seriously, you have to be kidding me. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, and we've got a list as long as Dan Pleasac's arm of things to do. (Hosting Mrs. Tao's family in two days a house still filled with packing boxes is enough to send the blood pressure into the stratosphere.)

And since we've neglected our Christmas card duties for yet another year, it looks like everyone is going to have to settle for a heartfelt blog post. (Or as heartfelt as yours truly can get.)

The past six months have whooshed by furiously, but we're relieved to know that we have much to look forward to in the New Year. Change is in the offing for us Blue Jays fans, but then again, it always is. Change is a good thing, and as we approach the end of the decade, it's time to look ahead and relish the possibilities that await us in the years to come.

Until we meet again, we hope you all take some time to relax and reconnect with your family and friends. Enjoy your holiday season, and remember to take a moment to share with those who are less fortunate.

Wishing you all the best for the holidays,

tao

The Tao's favorite song of the season - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
There seems to be no end to the holiday songs that we've heard blasting out from every speaker in every shop and store over the past few weeks. There are songs of bombast and of trifectas of kings and of sleigh bells ring-a-ding-dinging, but for our money, there's no carol that can top the simple and essential message of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Because in the end, this season is really about appreciating the moments with your family and friends.

This particular rendition of the song was on the John Denver and Muppets Christmas album, which was a staple around my house as a kid. Somehow, hearing Rowlf the Dog sing "let your heart be light" gives us a more profound sense of the season than anything else that we can think of. Enjoy.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the holiday wishes Tao. I'm a long time Blue Jays fan born and raised in southern California (long story). I don't post very often but I do enjoy the work you and some of the other regular contributors post here. As you can imagine, Blue Jays news is a bit slow around here (unless of course a certain pitcher was rumored to be headed to the Angels - would have been nice to see him out here but I like the direction the Jays took with the Phillies).

Merry Christmas!

LJ said...

That album was a staple at our house, too. I used to yell along with Animal singing, "Run Run Reindeer."

Merry Christmas... hope it goes smoothly.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you (and the Ack). Thanks for giving me something to do at work. All the best in '10.

Ian Hunter said...

Happy Festivus for the rest of us!

Merry Christmas Tao and Ack - another year of solid posts and good discussions about baseball.

My workplace also thanks you for countless hours of lost productivity while I read Tao of Stieb - the cheque's in the mail.

Mylegacy said...

To: Tao and Family
And To: All Regulars here at the Tao's Stieb stable.

Have a Merry Christmas and a very Prosperous, Healthy and Happy New Year.

From: Mylegacy and his Queen and Master, She Who Must be Obeyed.

MRB said...

Merry Christmas Tao!

The Ack said...

Heyo - not sure how much I'll be around, so let me echo the sentiments.

All the best to everyone & their families over the holidays - be safe and happy.

Cheers all.

Gil Fisher said...

Fcuk I'll be stealing away from the family on Christmas Eve and Christmas Morn to wet my blog appetite. I'm expecting fresh material!!!

If Tao and weekend Tao aren't going to be on duty, I'm going to be pissed. How about a special guest entry in the stocking? An entry from the Priest would be fitting.

Wiffleballs said...

This post is a nice foil to ParkesGate at DJF.

Enjoy the Ho(a)llidays.

The Ack said...

I'll try to sneak out of holiday festivities to bang something out this weekend.

It sounds like a selfless gesture, but the reality is I'm mandated by the contract I signed with our tyrant host.

I kid!

best,
the ack.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Wiffle...I'm afraid to even go over to DJF anymore. Geez.

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

Merry Christmas Tao, and all the regulars. And a post from Priesty would be like, well, Christmas.

Cheers y'all. Here's to the pennant we're about to win.

Ice Cream Jonsey said...

Merry Christmas, Tao. And thanks.

Matt C said...

I was always partial to this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjEIP6otc4Y

Merry Christmas

PS. I believe in Vernon Wells

Dane lorg said...

Tom Cheek is now in 2nd place in the Ford C Frick voting.

Vote for Tom people.

Darren Priest said...

Merry Christmas, Tao, Ack and the regulars. Love reading this blog. It's become one of my daily stops.

You two asking for a guest blog post from me and making me feel all warm and fuzzy, but I guarantee that I would fail to meet your expectations. I'm the nosy neighbour archetype who pops in for minute and maybe gets the odd laugh. Try to build the show around me and you end up with Hello, Larry.

So unless you're keen to read a piece on why Tom Henke was much cooler than Duane Ward, best to leave the posting to my betters.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.