Friday, December 4, 2009

Friday Rock Out: The Clash - London Calling


It was 30 years ago this month that The Clash unleashed the greatest rock 'n' roll album of all time on an unsuspecting public. And three decades later, it still sounds pretty sweet.

Mark December 14 on your calendars as London Calling Day, and blast your eardrums into oblivion for the day. You'll be glad you did.

Your Tom Cheek Reminder
Tom's still hanging tough at the top of the leaderboard of the Facebook Hall of Fame thingy. We're not sure that the group of former honorees are going to give a fadoo.ca about the vote totals on this new-fangled website, but we still kinda think that if Tom walked away with half the internet vote, it would be hard to deny him. So hit the Facebook poll and click until it hurts.

And incidentally: If you run into Bob Uecker anywhere this winter, be sure to put in a good word for Tom to him.

9 comments:

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

The important thing is that we all give a fadoo.ca.

I have never heard this album you speak from, from The Clash. I must expand my horizons.

And farewell, Marco. I mean that in the most non-literal sense. I hope he bombs. Nothing personal, just business.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely... best album... ever

Peter DeMarco said...

I am hearing whispers of possible Blue Jay interest in David DeJesus, as he could fill hole in RF and bat lead-off. Personally I think he makes too much for what he provides, which is mediocre numbers across the board. I would especially hate to give up anything of value to get him.

Anonymous said...

Great song, underappreciated band.

For a great take on that song: Bruce Springsteen, Steve Van Zandt, Dave Grohl and Elvis Costello

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiSQIbNxjcU

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

I just read Handsome Tony Viner's comments from yesterday's post. Which means I've been giggling like a jackass for the past few minutes.

Handsome Tony Viner has swept me off my feet. With his handsomeness.

Playoffs!!!1

The Ack said...

So good I just dropped a tweet sampling some of HTV's stylings. Bam.

Random D-bag said...

The Clash is under-appreciated?! How much fawning admiration does a band need before they are appropriately appreciated?

I love the Clash, but I think they are appreciated quite enough. Big Audio Dynamite is under-appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Joe Inglett claimed by the Rangers off of waivers. Not exactly sure where he'll fit in as I didn't really know he could skate? Maybe he's there to beat some fucking sense into that asshat Avery.

Shit, even the Rangers are dipping into our talent pool. If it wasn't for cro-magnon doppelganger Messier, the Isles would still be chanting "1940!, 1940!'' at those reprobates.

Shame really, I thought Inglett coulda done something in baseball. If this decision works out for the Jays, well, I defer to Handsome Tony's Omnibus plan - in Handsome Tony I Trust. Doubting the man is nothing but a fool's errand, a waste of time that you'll never get back.

Bitey said...

Is it wrong that London Calling is probably my least favourite track from that album?