Saturday, February 14, 2009

Have I mentioned that I love the start of Spring Training?

Well, have I?

Because I do. If you're a baseball fan, then you do too. And if you don't, then I hate to break it to you, but you're probably not much of a fan. You're probably a bit of a front-running douchebag.

Seriously, the crack of the bat, the popping sound of a ball hittin' the mitt, everyone's a contender..... all that cliche bullshit. I love it. You know what, as of today, we're gonna win the goddamn pennant.

Incidentally, the picture heading this post might be the best thing I've seen in years. If Dave Stieb was flanking Doc's other shoulder - forget about it. Just stop taking pictures.

Anyway....onto a cornucopia of quick springtime hitters:

Underwhelmingly positive news, from the mouth of Roy Halladay
Didn't take long for the jackals in the media to hit Doc up with the question: "So how are you feeling about life as a Blue Jay these days, Roy?"

Answer: "For me, obviously you do want to win, you want to be a part of a championship team," he said. "That doesn't necessarily mean I don't like it here ... I think that, obviously, if I had it my way it would be to win here. And I don't think we've totally given up that hope."

Um, good to hear. I guess. I don't want to talk about this one any further. Let's move on.

AJ Burnett and the New York media - a match made in heaven
...if you're a vindictive bastard who's hoping AJ falls flat on his face after signing with the MF Yankees, that is. Luckily, I'm not one of those guys, because Bobby MacLeod checks in with an early report on that relationship via discussion with a fellow scribe covering the Yankees.

I asked about A.J. Burnett, the former Blue Jays pitcher who bolted Toronto for the dough in the Big Apple.
“He's an idiot,” came the quick response.


Unexpected shout-out - here's to Dick Griffin
If you're anything like me - and for your sake, let's hope not - then you have a whole carcass of bones to pick with Richard Griffin's Blue Jay commentary during the season. Grind axes with JP Ricciardi much, Dick?

Having said that, Griffin is nailing it right now. Spring training is definitely right in his wheelhouse. He's giving me exactly what I want from a guy covering camp - early insights into the team & players, and he's having fun doing it. So here's a tip of the cap to you, Griff. Keep on keepin' on (at least until the regular season rolls around.)

On Robbie Alomar
I don't want to say much about this. It's too depressing. Robbie Alomar was my favourite player on some of the greatest Jays teams of all time. I'll never forget Alomar taking Dennis Eckersley yard in the 9th inning of Game 4 in the '92 ALCS. I went nuts watching the game in my parents' basement (nothing's changed - heyo!).

If I had to say anything, I'd probably say exactly what another personal fave, Patty Hentgen had to say about it:

"I hope that it's not true and if it is true, then God bless and I hope that his health can increase and get better."

Have I mentioned that I love Spring Training?
Because I do.

10 comments:

The Ack said...

...terminology hat-tip on "winning the pennant" to all-around stud blogger, eyebleaf.

Old school verbage rules.

Anonymous said...

Favourite non-winning the World Series Jays moment for me. Parents living room, jumping up and down high five-ing my dad/brother and hugging my mom.

Totally agree about Griff, loving his Spring Training coverage.

Anonymous said...

Hey, those Reuters clowns spelled it "Sean Marcum".

http://www.daylife.com/photo/05CS0fvfY88LJ/toronto_blue_jays

INSULT TO INJURY

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

Much love, brother. We are so fucking winning the pennant.

And, yes, that picture is so full of win. Ridiculous.

A.J. in New York is going to be an epic fail. I'm looking forward to it. For real.

And Griff really is nailing it. I just wish he would stop with the Goddamn weather! We know it's nice, fuck, and much better than up here. Quit it!

I was in the backseat of my parents' car when Robbie hit that home run off Eck. We had it on the radio. It is one of the most fondest memories of my life. I'm pretty sure the windows cracked from all the yelling.

SP said...

I try not to read Griff unless he's getting raves from Blue Jay bloggers, so thanks for the heads up

Good to hear about Janssen, Hill, and Dusty

Anonymous said...

From Griff's latest entry:

"He (Beeston) had brought down Rogers executive Tony Viner, who has been involved with a lot of Jays stuff in recent years but had never, ever been to training camp."

Conspiracy theories aside, is it possible that one reason for Beeston's stinginess with money this off-season is to set up the higher-ups at Rogers to pump some real cash into the team payroll next year after showing them what happens when they don't? It seems like a Beeston-esque type of move. Of course, I'm assuming that there's some truth to Phil Lind's comments that Beeston decided to put the screws on payroll this year.

Anonymous said...

Wiffleballs, I don't know if he is trying to show them what happens when you don't but I think (hoping?) they might be saving to spend in 2010. I mean it kind of makes sense if everyone is building up for 2010.

If you the Jays are budgeted for 100mil and they take away 15 like they did this year then in 2010 they push their budget back to 100mil and add the 15mil they saved well... you can do the math.

I mean, it would be pretty nice. They'd be able to asses the team this year and see what are the spots they definitely need help in (Is Lyle going to keep contributing or should be pick up another 1B/DH to go along with Lind and Snider? Did young guys step up in our rotation or should we pick up another top starter?) and who they are going to go for it with next season. Then they can really drop some money and get substantial help, instead of help that will just keep them above .500 in the AL East.

Unfortunately I don't think it works that way.

Plus, it's short-sighted and could fuck you for long term. You'd basically be putting all your eggs in the 2010 basket and if it doesn't work then you might be looking at starting all over again with just the kids.

That being said, this might be what they have to do to leap the Rays, Sox and Yankees in the AL East. At least we would know they man-ed up and are really going for it.

MK Piatkowski said...

I too am so happy about spring training. It's nice to read about baseball in the sports section again and not have it be about some new scandal or signing.

Unlike most folks, I have a good feeling about this year. We'll have Cito and his hitting philosophy from the beginning and I suspect some of the young guys are going to step up. Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

It's a great strategy to save for 2010. LeBron, Bosh, and D Wade are free agents.

This season will suck more cock than DJF, Elton John and RuPaul (HEYO!).

Anonymous said...

If it's true, maybe John Hirschbeck should get tested too