Saturday, September 13, 2008

Desperate, or delusional?

Has it really been fifteen years? Really? Fifteen years since the Blue Jays have sniffed the playoffs? Let's see....2008-1993=15. Well I'll be damned. It really has been fifteen years.

Maybe that's why I'm more than willing to scream (type) "PLAYOFFS!" with every September win. Maybe that's why I'm willing to overlook the fact that making up seven games in less than a month is pretty fucking unlikely to happen. Maybe that's why I'm telling myself that a 2.8% shot at the playoffs is nothing to sneeze at. Maybe that's why it's a good thing I was holding a pair of socks in my hand and not the remote during the eighth inning of the weekend series opener in Fenway.

You see, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary (let's call that a pre-emptive strike), I'm trying really hard not to be a douchebag. No, really. You know the type. The type who downplays, or even better, shits on any success the team has - because, you know, it's over and the games don't really matter at this point anyway (see Friscolanti, Michael). I don't want to be a cynical prick, at least no more than I already am. I don't want to cheer for the Kansas City Royals. I want to cheer for the Toronto Blue Jays, 2008 playoff contenders.

Having said all that, if the Jays happen to drop one more game this weekend, fuck it - I'll be cheering for the Toronto Blue Jays, 2009 playoff contenders. I don't give a shit, I've already talked myself into it.

And that's all I have to say about that.....

Mencherson vs Linder
I should know better than to question any managerial decisions during the Gastonian (terminology hat tip) era. I think Cito's earned that free pass given the run he has this team on. And I really kinda sorta maybe agree with holding back young phenoms Lind and Snider from facing the knuckle/shitballer in the opener. But under no circumstances do I want to see the names of Mencherson in place of either (or both) of them for the remainder of the series. That's fair, right?

Curt Schilling continues his quest for supreme douchebaggery
It's been well documented that Curt Schilling is a man among boys in terms of being a d-bag. I mean, I don't think I'm breaking any new ground here. But Schilling's latest rant concerning New York sports fans literally had me laughing out loud.

"They want us to be as bitter and mad and miserable and they are," he said. "And, unfortunately, it's not going to happen."

Are you fucking kidding me, Curt? Seriously? Red Sox Nation doesn't fit the profile of bitter, mad, and miserable? Sons of Sam Horn - ever heard of the site? Actually, I know you have, because I hear you used to post there. In that case - get Van Vonderen on the phone. Someone needs an intervention.

4 comments:

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

Delusional is what being a sports fan is all about. I guess Colorado fans were called delusional last year. And Phillies fans well. They laughed last, and loudest. Sure, it's highly unlikely, but that doesn't mean I'll stop believing.

Agree with you completely, Mencherson should be on the bench the rest of the way. Perhaps it was a good move in that Lind and Snider can play both games today, and on Sunday as well.

And why can't Curt Schilling just fucking go away? Mother fucker.

Oh, and respect on the link, bro.

Anonymous said...

Gaurantee it was so they didn't mess up their swing. And if the knuckleball is off even Mencherson can hit a 65mph floater.

It's funny how I don't want the Jays to lean on Snider next year, I want them to go get a big bat, BUT when he's in the lineup I get a little more confident about our chances because you know he is capable of just crushing it.

I'll take the learning at bats for the anticipation of him catching one.

Anonymous said...

...for the end of this season, at least. I still want them to bring in a bat.

Mike D said...

Is is too early to deem Snider the real deal? He's murdering it right now.