Friday, April 17, 2009

Welcoming home our conquering heroes

After a 5-2 road trip and a 8-3 jaunt through the American League Central, the Blue Jays return home with the best record in AL to start a weekend series against the Oakland A's tonight. But will they get the triumphant welcome that they deserve?

For all of the offseason angst, focusing on what a lost season this would be, the Jays are coming home leading the Majors in runs, hits, homers batting average and RsBI.

Given this auspicious start to the year, wouldn't it be nice to see some large and enthusiastic crowds at the Rogers Centre this weekend? It seems likely that the roof will be open, so here's hoping that people can pry themselves away from playoff hockey long enough to relish this moment.

14 comments:

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

Amen, brother.

Pennant.

Anonymous said...

Well put Tao!

Christopher said...

I bought tickets for Saturday's game and I was able to get 1st row seats so it looks pretty sparse so far. We gotta hope for the walk-up crowds.

MK Piatkowski said...

A friend and I are going to walk up tonight (she's a huge Kelly Gruber fan), so we're doing our part.

KingofCabbagetown said...

Any ideas on where can get confirmation on whether they plan to crack open the roof tonight (or tomorrow)????

Voodoo Matt said...

I wish I could go to the SKYDOME tonight. Damn 4 hour flights.

I was loking at the Millar slam, the video at Bluejays.com is inconclusive, but I'm pretty sure Dickey rolled that knuckleball. Can anyone back me up on that?

Ian Hunter said...

Methinks that Saturday's game will be HUGE. Dome open, great weather, and the best team in the league. It would be nice to see 30,000+ show up.

mathesond said...

I was telling my wife last night that the Jays picked a very good year to get off to a hot start with no Leafs or Raptors in the playoffs. Only one local team paying right now, and they're on a bit of a roll, it'd be nice to see if they capture the public's attention

Anonymous said...

Dome was open around noon, but is closed now. Hopefully they are just testing it.

Darren Priest said...

Mathesond, Leafs fans can't go to the game -- they need to analyze the team's draft position and figure out how Burke can possibly draft John Tavares.

Darren Priest said...

Oh and where's my Friday Rock-out, Tao?

Tao of Stieb said...

The Rock Out is posted.

We figured people were getting sick of our music posts (like we get sick of Paul Wells' jazz rambles)...

Anonymous said...

Dome is opening right now!

Darren Priest said...

Aww, it's freeway. I love that song. Makes me miss our mutual friend, Shortwaveboy. He put this on a mix tape for me once -- and now I sound really gay.

Speaking only myself, I think the Friday Rock Outs should become a tradition. Sure I'm just heading home to sit on the couch, but for a moment, I am in my 20s, single, and headed out for a night on the town. And now I sound like a sad little fat man, which is, you know, true.