Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Another voice of the Blue Jays falls silent

The Globe's William Houston is reporting that Don Chevrier passed away yesterday. Chevy was the first TV play-by-play man for the Blue Jays, and a truly underappreciated gem in the Canadian sports media landscape.

We recently heard his voice while viewing a classic Jays game (actually, Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter), and we were struck with just how good he was. Chevrier was blessed with an amazing set of pipes, and he used them judiciously through the game. He never prattled on, but conveyed the action succinctly and with a fan's knowledge and passion for the game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I grew up listening/watching Chevy call games and it's the voice I most identify with the Blue Jays and my youth (I obviously didn't go with radio too often back then). He's top three for sure in alltime Blue Jays play-by-play men for me. He's there with Dan Schulman, Tom Cheek and Chevrier. Honourable mention to Jerry Howarth. Funny you mentioned Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter as I think I saw the same game and Chevy was outstanding during that broadcast. He was likely just as good calling the CFL games. He was supposed to call some of the Beijing Olympics for NBC this year, too bad. We'll miss the big guy.